Mission: VocalEssence is a champion of choral music of all genres, celebrating the vocal experience through innovative performances, commissioning new music, and engaging with diverse constituencies.
Location: Minneapolis, MN Type: Part-time, Temporary (15 hours/week) Classification: Independent Contractor Compensation: $2,500 stipend Timeline: June 1 – August 31, 2019 Hours: Flexible
Founded in 1969, VocalEssence is a champion of choral music of all genres, celebrating the vocal experience through innovative performances, commissioning new music, and engaging with diverse constituencies. VocalEssence has undertaken a multi-phase project to preserve its over 700 audio and visual concert recordings through a digitization process. This will preserve the content of these historical aging materials before the analog originals deteriorate and are lost. Both the newly digitized files and the original media will be housed at the University of Minnesota Libraries’ Performing Arts Archive. Additionally, VocalEssence is preparing for a Minnesota Tour in April 2020 involving all singing ensembles of the organization, and local community ensembles at each tour stop. A commemorative songbook (created by VocalEssence) will be an integral part of this tour, capturing the tour’s theme, “Get Minnesota Singing.”
VocalEssence seeks a qualified individual to assist in Phase II of the archiving process, which involves validation of digitized materials, and to serve as a project manager for creation of the tour songbook.
- Listen to digitized audio tracks and validate the audio content with its catalog number
- Ensure proper tracking of multi-movement works
- Conduct multiple methods of research necessary to validate audio, e.g. internet research, using an audio-editing platform, consult concert program, institutional knowledge, process of elimination
- Maintain organized records of discrepancies – audio mismatch, tracking errors, etc.
- Work with Audio Archivist to resolve discrepancies and track progress toward completion
- Serve as project manager for creation of “Get Minnesota Singing” tour songbook, managing timeline and next steps
- Work with VocalEssence artistic staff in conducting musical content research and rights procurement for songbook
- Work with engraver and graphic designer to realize the songbook final product
- Assist with VocalEssence music library maintenance as needed
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- A passion for music and history
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with colleagues in a collaborative environment
- Experience with Microsoft Excel
- Resourcefulness in Internet research
- A healthy skepticism in service to conducting research and problem-solving
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with various audio-editing platforms
- Familiarity with choral music
- Experience with process, arrangement, and description of archival collections
- Familiarity with music notation software
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands: Required to hear; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions: Moderate noise level, prolonged use of headphones
Apply online by Wednesday, May 15, 2019.