The Executive Director leads VocalEssence operations, ensuring the strategic and financially sound management of all programs. In collaboration with the Artistic Director, the Executive Director works toward a common artistic and operational vision in alignment with institutional goals adopted by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director is an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and its Executive Committee.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors. Positions reporting directly to the Executive Director are the Director of Development, the Director of Marketing and Communications, and the Director of Finance and Administration. Reporting relationships shared with the Artistic Director are the Associate Artistic Director, Director of Artistic Operations, and the Executive Assistant.
Strategic Planning and Management
• Lead the development and ensure effective implementation, monitoring, and updating of the organizational Strategic Plan.
• Collaborate with the President of the Board and Artistic Director to ensure a clear organizational vision aligned with the mission.
• Oversee all aspects of VocalEssence administrative operations, including finance and budgeting, fundraising and development, marketing, and staff administration.
• Assure VocalEssence operations adhere to legal and ethical non-profit best practices.
• Represent VocalEssence in appropriate local and national forums.
• Participate in artistic planning.
• Finalize financial agreements with the Artistic Director and issue contracts for all guest artists and composers (artistic partners).
• Oversee all marketing, communications, and public relations strategies to ensure visibility for VocalEssence.
• Provide administrative support to Board, Board officers, and committees.
• Participate in identifying, interviewing, and recruiting prospective board members.
• Take an active role in engaging individual Board members in the work of the organization.
• Participate in development of effective leadership succession plans for Board officers and Committee chairs.
• Present and communicate materials to the Board of Directors.
Financial Oversight and Development
• Ensure the development, monitoring, and reporting of budgets that fulfill the organization’s artistic vision and mission, guided by sound fiscal policies established in partnership with the Board.
• Develop and implement individual and institutional development strategies with the Board and staff that maximize contributed income opportunities.
Audience Development and Community Engagement
• Represent VocalEssence in appropriate public settings, clearly articulating the mission, vision, programs, impact, and strategic direction of VocalEssence.
• Manage operational aspects of Community Engagement programs including financial and human resources oversight, ensuring program viability and impact in the community.
In collaboration with the Artistic Director, the Executive Director will:
• Maintain a collegial and collaborative relationship with the Artistic Director and artistic and operational staff.
• Develop and implement strategies to ensure VocalEssence institutional, artistic, and community engagement goals are achieved, and inform the Board of actions taken in furtherance of those goals.
• Be a leader of people, engaging and motivating staff, Board, and volunteers in the pursuit of excellence.
• Provide meaningful ongoing feedback and conduct annual performance reviews of staff.
• Background and experience in a field such as management, community service, political or grassroots advocacy, administration, or related.
• Preference for candidates with knowledge and understanding of the nuance of arts and culture organizations.
• Experience leading and participating in strategic planning and managing to strategic objectives.
• Experience in fundraising through an array of approaches such as individual giving, annual campaigns, capital campaigns, etc.
• Financial acumen and experience with budgeting and ongoing fiscal management.
• Experience working with and for a board of directors.
• Experience in communications; this role manages communication of all VocalEssence programs.
• Experience growing audience(s) and expanding engagement with different audience segments.
• Strategic thinking; envisioning the future and implementing action toward it.
• Creativity and a shared vision of sustainability and growth; able to “tell the story” of VocalEssence and ideate a bright future.
• Commitment toward diversity, accessibility, equity, and inclusion and confidence in making positive changes.
• Welcoming, inclusive, participatory communication style; easily builds trust-based relationships; kind and thoughtful.
• Gracious approach with staff, donors, artists, community members, and external partners in the creation and execution of the organization’s vision. Able to build and sustain relationships with a broad array of stakeholders.
• Energized by being in a dynamic organization; excited about technological change and able to see possibilities.
• Team-oriented and collaborative; known as a “people person” who brings out the best in others. Leads staff with a coaching and delegating style.
• High degree of emotional intelligence and diplomatic savvy.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $150,000-$165,000. Compensation includes participation in the comprehensive benefits plan.
To Apply or Share Nominations
Inquiries and nominations may be directed to Lars Leafblad: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications and nominations will be accepted until February 21, 2024 or until the position has been filled, which may be earlier. There will be an immediate and ongoing review of candidates, so we encourage and appreciate early applications. All inquiries will remain confidential.
Click the button below to read the full Executive Profile.
VocalEssence is an Equal Opportunity Employer
VocalEssence welcomes qualified applicants and employees regardless of their race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, disability, familial status, genetic information, public assistance, or status as a protected veteran. Persons from historically excluded communities are especially encouraged to apply.
VocalEssence seeks talented students to work in challenging internship positions throughout the organization. Internships at VocalEssence offer meaningful learning opportunities and on-the-job experiences to those who are interested in beginning careers in performing arts management and/or arts education.