VocalEssence, called “one of the irreplaceable music ensembles of our time” by Dana Gioia, past chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts—and the choral ensemble that Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones says “sings magnificently”—impacts thousands of students, singers, and composers each year through its initiative programs, contests, and support for innovative art. VocalEssence was founded in 1969 and has debuted more than 300 commissions and world premieres. For more information, visit vocalessence.org.
ABOUT MLATINO MEDIA
MLatino Media, LLC is a Hispanic marketing, advertising and communications agency based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We work with brands and organizations in developing advertising and outreach projects through the creation and implementation of new and traditional media. Established in 2014, the MLatino Media team has more than 15 years of previous experience developing new and innovative projects that have directly and positively impacted the Hispanic populations in the US. For more information, visit https://www.mlatinomedia.com/about
HISTORY OF ENGAGEMENT WITH SPANISH-SPEAKING COMMUNITY
VocalEssence has been working with the Spanish-speaking community for the past 13 years. In 2008, we established an advisory council made up of local Latino leaders to help us create a Mexican composer-in-residence program for Twin Cities schools. The program called ¡Cantaré! has been thriving since that time. More than 20 composers have traveled from Mexico to work with more than 60 schools. Composers share their culture with the students and write new music specifically for each school. The students would then perform the music for their family and friends at The Ordway in St. Paul.
In 2018, VocalEssence created a Family Series to engage more with families with young children. A priority audience for the series was Spanish-speaking families. We began our partnership with MLatino Media to assist us with connecting with the Spanish-speaking community.
In 2020, VocalEssence raised money to hire a marketing intern for eight months to assist with marketing our programs to Spanish-speaking families.
The Marketing Intern – Spanish Speaking Families will assist VocalEssence with connecting with the Spanish Speaking community in the Twin Cities. Working with VocalEssence staff, Gustavo Mancilla from MLatino Media, as well as local leaders from the VocalEssence ¡Cantaré! Advisory Council, the intern will create a strategy to engage Spanish-speaking families with the VocalEssence digital content this season. Please note that there is not funding to continue this position beyond the eight-month internship. However, VocalEssence will work with the intern to help them find a role in the Twin Cities nonprofit community after the position is completed.
- Manage Spanish-speaking digital customer journey experience (website, phone, email).
- With assistance, create marketing strategy for Spanish–speaking families.
- With assistance, create marketing assets (emails, videos, news stories, etc.) to encourage Spanish speaking audiences to watch performances on VocalEssence On Demand.
- Update and manage website translations for Spanish.
The Marketing Intern – Spanish Speaking Families:
- Reports to the Director of Development and the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Works closely with Gustavo Mancilla at MLatino Media
- Gathers information from local non-profit partners including Way to Grow and Project Success
- Reports progress to the VocalEssence ¡Cantaré! Advisory Council
- Verbal and written fluency in English and Spanish
- Knowledge of the Spanish-speaking community in the Twin Cities
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Attention to detail and well organized
- Interest in solving problems and creating plans
- Passion for the arts
- Experience with website editing using programs like WordPress.
- Experience with email creation programs such as Emma, Constant Contact, or Mail Chimp.
- Experience with a database management system such as Salesforce.
- Experience with video creation and editing.
Work hours are flexible but need to be clearly communicated to VocalEssence. Our offices are currently closed and we are working remotely. We anticipate this position to be remote through the entire season. The internship runs through the 2020-21 VocalEssence season from October 2020 to June 2021.
$1,000/month for eight months
October 15, 2020
Send a cover letter and résumé attached to:
Director of Development and Communications