Singing and learning opportunities for ages 0-100+
VocalEssence Learning & Engagement programs are specifically designed for people ages 0-100+ to connect, create, and learn across cultures. In each of our programs, we:
- Connect people with renowned choral experts —giving them the opportunity to learn directly from exceptional role models.
- Blend music and the study of cultures present in Minnesota’s diverse population.
- Provide opportunities to perform and attend performances in a major concert hall.
- Help people achieve higher levels of self-esteem, self-expression, and engagement in the community.
Programs for Children and Youth
- VocalEssence ¡Cantaré!—During ¡Cantaré! (Spanish for “I will sing”), Mexican composers lead elementary and high school students through an in-depth exploration of Mexico’s vibrant musical traditions.
- VocalEssence Lullaby Project—The Lullaby Project creates musical experiences for women facing pregnancy while enduring other hardships, such as teenage pregnancy, homelessness, or incarceration.
- VocalEssence Singers Of This Age—High school students from Minneapolis and Saint Paul who sing, dance, write their own music, rap, and—most importantly—reflect the diversity of our community in its membership.
- VocalEssence WITNESS—Now in its 30th year, our WITNESS curriculum celebrates the artistic contributions of African Americans to the fine arts and to our common cultural heritage.
Programs for Older Adults
- Osher Lifelong Learning—Since 2006, VocalEssence has partnered with Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at the University of Minnesota, a membership-based community of older adults in the Twin Cities metropolitan area who love learning and enjoy spending time with like-minded individuals.
- VocalEssence Vintage Voices—Designed for older adults, this program integrates the arts into the everyday lives of older adults by fostering the creation of choirs in assisted living communities and senior centers.