About Our Audition Process
Auditions for the 2021-2022 VocalEssence season are now open. The first round of auditions for both the Chorus and the Ensemble Singers is identical and will take place online. To begin the audition process, please fill out this form. There is a $12* non-refundable audition fee for auditioning with VocalEssence. Upon completing the form, you will be prompted to pay the audition fee through our PayPal account; you will then receive instructions by email on how to submit your video.
Ensemble Singers Auditions
Eight paid positions per section; professional experience required. Ensemble Singers re-audition annually. 2021 auditions for the Ensemble Singers will begin online through Flipgrid using the requirements below. The first round of auditions is open now. The deadline for consideration for the Ensemble Singers is April 30, 2021. After submissions close, artistic staff will follow up regarding any necessary callbacks for consideration in the ensemble.
VocalEssence Chorus Auditions
Approximately 120 volunteer positions. Chorus members re-audition every 2 years as a way to check-in vocally with the conductors. 2021 auditions for the Chorus will be held entirely online through Flipgrid using the requirements below. Chorus auditions will be considered on a rolling-basis through early-June.
*We do not want the $12 fee to keep you from auditioning. Email email@example.com to set up an audition if the fee would keep you from auditioning.
Online Audition Requirements
For audition to the VocalEssence Chorus and the first round of Ensemble Singers auditions, you will submit a 10-minute video recording of 6 components:
- 2-3 min. excerpt of a song of your choosing, accompanied or unaccompanied.
- Sing the verse of America the Beautiful in the key given for each voice type.
- 3 short vocal exercises
- Sing the first 23 measures of Dixit Dominus from Mozart’s Vesperae solennels de confessore.
What to Expect if You’re Accepted
Rehearsals are held on Tuesday evenings from September through June, plus special rehearsals and dress rehearsals as needed for each concert; most in-person rehearsals take place at Plymouth Congregational Church in Minneapolis. VocalEssence singers are expected to commit to the full VocalEssence concert season.
- The VocalEssence Ensemble Singers have a rigorous schedule and typically rehearse 6:30-9:30 pm on Tuesday evenings, plus other special rehearsals as needed. The singers perform at most season and community concerts as well as local, national, and international tours, recordings, radio broadcasts, daytime performances and for other special occasions.
- The VocalEssence Chorus rehearsals run from 7-9:30 pm on Tuesday evenings, plus dress rehearsals for each concert. Chorus members sing on most season and community concerts.
Should you be accepted into the VocalEssence Chorus or Ensemble Singers, you are required to purchase concert attire at your own expense. Singer attire guidelines are under review by a committee of singers and staff; more information will be communicated to you upon acceptance into one of the ensembles.
Additional questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.