Season tickets are on sale now. Single tickets go on sale Aug. 5. For details, call 612-371-5642 or see vocalessence.org.
Here’s a look at what’s on tap for the season, which associate conductor G. Phillip Shoultz III said is about “collaborating with young talent and commissioning new work even as we honor and elevate the greats who came before us.”
- Tales and Tunes, Sept. 28: A musical storytime that includes a nursery rhyme singalong with VocalEssence singers and a reading from an acclaimed author.
- Divine Light, Oct. 13: St. Paul Chamber Orchestra associate concertmaster Ruggero Allifranchini joins the VocalEssence Ensemble Singers for a wide-ranging blend of music from all over the world.
- Witness: What a Mighty God, Nov. 17: The first of two Witness concerts focuses on spirituals and features Dr. Andre Thomas conducting the Midwest premiere of his “Mass: A Celebration of Love and Joy” with orchestra, soloists and choir.
- Welcome Christmas, Dec. 7, 8, 13 and 15: VocalEssence celebrates a Nordic Christmas with carols from Sweden, Finland and Norway. The concerts also include the world premiere of “Nordic Christmas,” a suite of Norwegian carols arranged by Norway’s Kim Andre Arnesen.
- Winter Wonder at MIA, Dec. 14: This hands-on family holiday event offers the chance to clap, wiggle and sing along to favorite holiday classics and create a winter-themed craft.
- Together We Sing Festival, Jan. 18: This concert honoring the musical legacy of Minnesota includes a performance by the youth choir VocalEssence Singers of This Age.
- “Moana” singalong, Feb. 1: VocalEssence Singers of This Age lead a singalong with the 2016 Oscar-nominated Disney smash.
- Witness: Deep Roots, Feb. 23: VocalEssence’s Witness concert series turns 30 and this concert includes spirituals, jazz, gospel and soul with two-time Billboard Gospel chart-topper Jovonta Patton and a special 30th anniversary community choir. It also features a world premiere arrangement of the spiritual “Witness” by Joel Thompson.
- The Mendelssohns: Music of Felix and Fanny Mendelssohn, April 4: An exploration of the works by these prolific and influential German composers (and siblings).
- Get Minnesota Singing Tour, April 25, May 2 and 9: VocalEssence hits the road for a Minnesota tour that includes stops in Worthington, Morris and St. Cloud.
- VocalEssence Gala, May 17: This singing fundraiser benefits the VocalEssence learning and engagement programs.
- Cantare Community Concert, May 21: Hundreds of students join VocalEssence to celebrate Mexico in song.
- Voices Calling Pre-Tour Concert, May 30: VocalEssence Singers of This Age perform before they head off on their first Midwest tour.