Who can apply?
If you are a permanent resident of Minnesota, you can apply!
What do I need to submit?
An online application that includes:
- Evidence of a musical work written for voice—one piece only
- Any medium is acceptable, including scores, MP3 files of a live or midi performance, or video
- Works DO NOT have to be in the Western choral music tradition
- 3 to 8 minutes in duration
- A brief statement saying how this experience will advance your career and what kind of choral piece you would like to write
- Your résumé/curriculum vitae
When is it due?
Your application must be submitted online. Applications for the 2018-2019 VocalEssence Remix Program are due May 15, 2018.
What happens if I am selected?
- You get the chance to have a one-on-one vocal-writing mentorship with leading Minnesota composers Libby Larsen, Carol Barnett, J. David Moore, or Tim Takach that will result in two choral works each with a duration of 3 to 5 minutes.
- $1,000 honorarium to defray expenses.
- One-Day Workshop with professional development sessions provided by the American Composers Forum and VocalEssence.
- Singers from VocalEssence ensembles will premiere works during the 2018-19 season.
- ACF membership: You do not need to be a member of American Composers Forum to apply. If selected, you must become a member to participate. Membership information is available by calling 651-228-1407 or at composersforum.org.
What are you looking for in my application?
- Demonstrable stated interest in composing for the choral art form.
- Strong level of commitment to the one-on-one mentorship opportunity.
- Consistent high quality of previous work.
- Significance of this program to the composer’s career.
- Applicants should be available to participate in the program dates, from June 2018 through February 2019.
- Fully completed application form submitted by deadline.
How will people be selected?
Final selections will be made by VocalEssence Artistic Director Philip Brunelle, VocalEssence Associate Conductor G. Phillip Shoultz, III, and composer Libby Larsen. Up to two composers/songwriters will be selected for the experience.
When will I find out if I am selected?
Composers/songwriters will be notified by June 1, 2018.