- Sing a wide range of music—from classical to hip-hop & everything in between
- Perform in world-class venues—Orchestra Hall, The Ordway Center for Performing Arts
- Awaken your creativity by studying voice, dance, theatre, and spoken word
- Travel throughout the state and region
- Rehearse at Augsburg University to provide exposure to life in college
- Belong to an accepting community of your peers from all walks of life
Under the visionary leadership of VocalEssence Singers Of This Age conductor, G. Phillip Shoultz, III, this ensemble revolutionizes the concept of choir and reflects the diversity of our community in its membership.
Free and Open to All
The VocalEssence Singers Of This Age is open to all high school students upon successful completion of an interview process.
There is no cost to participate. Upon making a year long commitment, singers receive free transportation to and from rehearsals and performances, performance uniforms, dinner and snacks, and complimentary concert tickets. The program focuses its attention on high school students in the Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, and Saint Paul Public School systems.
Diverse, Groundbreaking Artists
We have an impressive team of artists, including:
- Filipina-American rapper and hip-hop artist Dessa
- Emmy award-winning actor T. Mychael Rambo
- McKnight Artist Fellow and MN Sage Award winning dancer/choreographer Roxane Wallace
- Verve-winning spoken-word artist/arts educator Chadwick Phillips
- Karen Charles and Threads Dance Company
- NBC’s The Voice contestant, Ashley DuBose
- Mila Vocal Ensemble and Cameroon Choir
See VocalEssence Singers Of This Age in Action
“Love Has Broken Down the Wall” by Mark Miller
Program funding comes from generous institutions, corporations, and individuals like you. Check out our GoFundMe page to learn more.
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board, thanks to a legislative appropriation form the arts and cultural heritage fund.