For more than five decades, VocalEssence has provided opportunities for singers from the Twin Cities area to create incredible music together and build connections as part of the vibrant arts community in Minnesota.
VocalEssence is known for introducing audiences to music and artists who are not yet known, often welcoming guest artists, composers, and conductors who are emerging, have unknown works, or represent a variety of cultures. Welcoming all members of the greater community, VocalEssence embodies the motto: Together We Sing.
• The 2021-2022 Season, Music Moves Us, returned to the concert hall and featured six in-person concerts and a VocalEssence Chorus and Ensemble Singers tour to greater Minnesota presenting The Times They Are A-Changin’: The Words and Music of Bob Dylan. 6,652 people attended a VocalEssence concert in 2021-2022.
• VocalEssence partnered with Minnesota Dance Theatre, Bach Society of Minnesota, and the Aeolians of Oakwood University.
• Continuing a commitment to performing new works, the season boasted premieres by composers Stewart Copeland of The Police, rising star Gabriel Kahane, ¡Cantaré! composer Julio Morales, and Genesis Prize winner Kyle Pederson.
• All season concerts were recorded and digital highlight videos were made available for free on the VocalEssence website following each concert where they were viewed by 8,296 people.
• According to survey results, audiences left VocalEssence performances feeling “inspired,” “joyful,” and “hopeful.”