VocalEssence educational programs are specifically designed to engage students (grades 4-12) who may not otherwise have opportunities to attend or participate in musical events. By putting music education in the context of these students’ cultures and communities, VocalEssence ensures that every student has an impactful, meaningful musical experience.
In each of our programs, we:
- Bring renowned choral experts into the classrooms—giving students the opportunity to learn directly from exceptional role models.
- Blend music and the study of cultures present in Minnesota’s diverse school population.
- Provide opportunities to perform and attend performances in a major concert hall.
- Arm teachers with flexible, easy-to-use teacher guides and ongoing assistance.
- Help students achieve higher levels of self-esteem, self-expression, and engagement in the community.
Our Educational Programs
We currently offer the following educational programs:
- WITNESS—Now in its 25th year, our WITNESS curriculum celebrates the artistic contributions of African Americans to the fine arts and to our common cultural heritage.
- ¡Cantaré!—During ¡Cantaré! (Spanish for “I will sing”), Mexican composers lead students through an in-depth exploration of Mexico’s vibrant musical traditions.
- Talented Tenth Apprentice Program—With Talented Tenth, we help talented urban high school students receive professional music and vocal training.
Experience VocalEssence for yourself
Find out why students, parents, composers, and teachers are enthralled with our school programs.